Times, they are a'changin

M? F? It’s just a letter away

Formerly, Americans who identified with a gender other than the one they were born with could change the assignment on their passport with a simple doctor's note; but for a matching social security card, they had to show they had actually undergone gender reassignment surgery. On June 19, however, the Social Security Administration enacted a new procedure that matches that of the passport office. Though social security cards themselves do not explicitly identify gender, social security info is used for everything from banking to education—making the new measure an important step for trans rights.

Read it at Jezebel

June 20, 2013 12:08 PM