Geography: United States
6934 North Glenwood Avenue
Chicago, IL 60626
About Beyondmedia Education
Beyondmedia Education's mission is to collaborate with under-served and under-represented women, youth and communities to tell their stories, connect their stories to the world around us, and organize for social justice through the creation and distribution of media arts.
Beyondmedia Education envisions a compassionate and just society where universal access to media tools and information equip women and youth to document and communicate their stories, serve as educators and role models for others, influence public policy, and generate social transformation.
- generates images that are inclusive, realistically depicting the diversity of women in the world
- privileges storytelling and storytellers: every speaker is a narrator
- is stylistically mixed, produced from multiple perspectives, improvisational and intentionally open-ended
- is not mass media, it's "low tech": whenever possible, we use available light, ambient sound, minimal equipment, and little or no crews
- works collaboratively to create media that is healing and revealing of diverse expressions of human connectedness that are usually missing in conventional media.
- places respect for the subject above all else (the "golden rule")
- reflects the people behind the camera as well as those in front of it
- strives to break down boundaries that are maintained through so-called "professional standards" controlling expression and containing resistance
- promotes a world in which power is shared and each person is heard as a speaker with narrative agency
- defines narrative agency as the linchpin of personal and global transformation: to frame and speak one's point of view, and derive response
- understands the role of art in the world as presenting the broadest range of images, such that each person has the opportunity to see her or his reflection somewhere in that mirror
- is committed to the free expression of all people, including us